torsdag, oktober 22, 2009

Health is relative

So. Ironically enough I was going to write about how amazing it is that it's Thursday and I'm still at work, healthy (the last two weeks I had a bad cold and stomach flu respectively).

HOWEVER.

Having finally decided to take the flu-shot because I've been sick so much, I consulted my sister whether or not I was in a risk group and could be bumped up the queu. She then alerted me to the fact that I shouldn't take the shot at all, as there's a possibility that taking vaccines when you have Hashimoto's causes multiple sclerosis. The risk of that is pretty small, granted. I researched it and OMG there is so much research. Apparently you are also not supposed to drink tea when you have Hashimoto's because of the high fluoride content. Seriously? I've been taking fluoride supplements religiously since I was a teen because of my bad teeth. I may very well have triggered my hypothyroidism with all these supplements for all I know.

Also, I love tea!! I always have at least seven different kinds in my desk drawer, and at home. A life without tea?? This is a horror that seems almost unimaginable. Granted, maybe still one step up from getting multiple sclerosis... I've taken the flu shot three years running!! Never again until they can prove it's safe.

I should probably stop researching and start working before I drive myself completely manic.

I've just been oblivious to the fact that having a genetic auto-immune desease might mean more for me than having to remember taking a pill every day for the rest of my life.

I'm just really glad I decided to test for the disease at all at my sister's insistance. Some people don't find out until they're past their 50's. Although I guess I'm not sure which is better: spend your life avoiding lots of things because of a thus-far fairly benign disease or finding out when you're 50 that there were a ton of things you could have done to improve your chances for continued general health?

Also, apparently I shouldn't eat cabbage, broccoli or soy products.
Seriously, WTF.





Etiketter: ,